Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Impressions (quick look): L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2013 by Issey Miyake

Honesty. This is something I take to heart in every review I read, and certainly every review I write. I want to know just how long someone has smelled a fragrance, how much time they have spent mulling it over before writing down their thoughts.

Since I care so much about that, the first thing I want to say is that I sprayed two sprays of this on my wrist at a Macy's today, and I spent probably two or three hours smelling it and gathering my thoughts, soon after washing it off in favor of a fragrance in my collection to wear for the night.

In that time, I've learned a few things. The first thing I've learned is that "Summer 2013" is very synthetic, something I am averse to in fragrances. And yes, I know, I know, most things in all fragrances, be they niche or designer, $20 or $200, are synthetic. And yes, while those are indeed facts, I can tell the difference between good and bad quality notes, and in the case of Miyake's concoction, it's not favorable.

Still, it is very fruity, with a fairly noticeable kiwi note (which is good considering it's kind of the main selling point). There is also pineapple listed in the notes, but I didn't get too much other than kiwi as a distinguished fruit note.

Summer 2013 has a sort of typical fruity smell that many light fragrances in the men's and women's sections tend to have these days, and it's not exactly a good thing to my nose. While it doesn't smell bad or anything, it is just...bland.

And that's kind of the story of Summer 2013: Synthetic blandness. It would be great for someone who wants something light and fresh for summer, but for the $70 price tag, I can think of better ways of spending my money on summer scents (like the $57 I spent on 30mL of Jardin d'Amalfi by Creed, or the $30 I spent on 30mL of Neroli Portofino).

I may seem like a niche snob, and maybe I am to a certain extent, but this is not something I desire to wear on my skin more than the one time.

No comments:

Post a Comment