Thursday, April 4, 2013

Seconds on the clock: Geranium Pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle



So, this is an idea I just had. What I'm going to do is put on a sample I received (dab sample) of a fragrance, and I will offer a time log of what it smells like and how it is performing until it dies down. This is probably going to span most of the day.

This time, for my first attempt I am choosing GPM by Frederick Malle, a fragrance I've heard a lot about and figured I should try.

Let's go:

10:25 a.m.- Half of a .7mL fragrance vial applied to neck and one dab to my tee-shirt. The opening I get is very minty, almost like a cross between natural mint ala 1861 and Menthe Fraiche and a more synthetic mint like toothpaste. I make that comparison (which many avoid in this fragrance and say it does not smell like toothpaste) more because it smells sweetened and not like cutting a fresh mint leaf with a sharp knife. I'll also be the first to admit that I don't know what "geranium" smells like, generally speaking, so I may say it smells floral, and that means like geranium. So far no florals. Oh, and it also smells ever-so medicinal.

10:36 a.m.- Starting to see some green peaking in. Though, it's not as sweet as the mint opening, so I'm wondering what is laying beneath the top notes.

10:52 a.m.- The sweetness is nearly gone, which is a good thing. I don't mind a sweet opening, but I can't say I expected it. The mint is still here for sure, but those green notes are coming up more and more, and they seem almost bitter...the complete opposite of sweet.

11:28 a.m.- Much of the same is happening. The mint is drying down and as a result, is starting to give way to those green notes. Still not really getting any florals. Odd though, my skin actually feels cooler where I put this on. Must be the mint in action.

2:20 p.m.- It seems to be much of the same as before, though growing faint. The mint is nearly gone, and I am left with a slight, sharp floral note that is wrapped around those greens. The greens seem more bright now, perhaps because the brightness of the mint is no longer as prominent. Still, I like this a good deal. The price is very steep though.

4:04 p.m.- Fading a lot now, and I am getting more of that floral note. Mint is very faint, and the green notes are still there. Really hard to distinguish notes now though.

4:46 p.m.- I'm going to call it. This is pretty much the end for me. Unless I smell my shirt intentionally, I won't smell any fragrance.

So, six hours isn't bad, but at $250 for 100mL I'd expect more in the 8-10 hour range. Still, it's a nice fragrance and one that I would be happy to be given or have more samples of, but ultimately, after this first wearing at least, not something I'm going to shell out big bucks for. 





No comments:

Post a Comment